I figure it’s always important to have your stash of preselected responses to questions at the end of your paper, especially ones that stall or buy you time to think. Here are a few that I’ve heard or used. Let us know your favorites, too.
- Are you asking me?
- Well, I’m rubber and your glue…
- I haven’t thought of that.
- [pretend like you didn't hear them]
- [per Nijay] I don’t know, but let me venture a guess
- Very interesting….
- [wimper silently]
- Can you clarify what you mean by that?
- As anybody can see in this text…