I was considering a list of top Paul books over the past 10 years. Here’s the list I had and then below it were other recommendations from friends. My criteria are that the book has to be general in scope (e.g., theologies) and/or presents an influential or unique perspective. What are your thoughts?
My list (chronologically):
- Dunn, J. D. G., The Theology of Paul the Apostle. 1998.
- Engberg-Pedersen, Troels, Paul and the Stoics. 2000.
- Gorman, M. J., Cruciformity: Paul’s Narrative Spirituality of the Cross. 2001.
- Schreiner, T. R., Paul, Apostle of God’s Glory in Christ: A Pauline Theology. 2001.
- Westerholm, S., Perspectives Old and New on Paul: The “Lutheran” Paul and His Critics. 2003.
- Carson, D. A., P. T. O’Brien, and M. A. Seifrid, Justification and Variegated Nomism. 2001, 2004.
- Longenecker, Bruce W. ed. Narrative Dynamics in Paul: A Critical Assessment. 2002.
- Hurtado, L. W., Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity. 2003.
- Sampley, J. P., Paul in the Greco-Roman World: A Handbook. 2003.
- Watson, Francis, Paul and the Hermeneutics of Faith. 2004.
- Campbell, D. A., The Quest for Paul’s Gospel: A Suggested Strategy. 2005.
- Schnelle, Udo, Apostle Paul: His Life and Theology. 2005.
- Jewett, Robert, Romans: A Commentary. 2007.
- Childs, Brevard, The Church’s Guide to Reading Paul: The Canonical Shaping of the Pauline Corpus. 2008.
Other’s recommended these:
- Justin Meggitt, Paul, Poverty, and Survival
- Todd Still and David Horrell, eds, After the First Urban Christians (Forthcoming late 2009)
- Gordon Fee, Pauline Christology
- Barclay and Gathercole, Divine and Human Agency
- Ross Wagner, Heralds of the Good News
- Terrance Donaldson, Paul and the Gentiles: Remapping
- Francis Watson, Paul, Judaism and the Geniles: Beyond the New Perspectative
- Simon Gathercole, Where is Boasting
- Peter Stuhlmacher, Revisiting Paul’s Doctrine of Justification
- Todd Still, Jesus and Paul Reconnected
- Alain Badiou, St. Paul: The Foundations of Universalism